* * * IT IS NOT ONLY DESIGN - IT IS A PRODUCTION METHOD....
MEM is Fully upcycled and it means all material (excluding some components) are collected from post consumer textile waste flow by Finnish red cross (SPR KONTTI VANTAA) and printed parts come from Kokkotyö-Säätiö.
Through the years of working with recycling centers and new kind of production methods we got to know what kind of cycle of material flow there is in textile -and clothes waste. The aim in every collection has been different. Whether the approach has been the the slicing of clothes, moving old form to new, structure, lines, forms all together or test for trying out these original MEM prints on recycled denim -it has been an adventure every time to create a collection.
Paulas firm aim from the beginning was to create technics which allow the designer approach the post consumer waste in a more larger scale than only unique item design - she wanted to combine both new and old way of thinking.
By taking in all the information there was available, we started to map the basic shapes of pieces we could get out of the textile and material flow. In the existing form lies the base for the upcycle design we create in MEM.
We got far with all these different aspects what comes to design, production in small scale - every MEM piece was/is made by order, but all the pieces are made so that they can be also serial produced.
2017-2018 Paula was eager to find a production facility from Finland that could have tested the serial production in industrial conditions, but sadly all negotiations got stuck - and Paula got tired of trying more in that point.
ALL MEM PIECES HAVE 12 MONTHS QUARANTEE - I WANT TO MAKE SURE MY CUSTOMERS AND MEM PIECE OWNERS CREATE A CONNETION WITH THEIR PIECES... MORE LIKE A RELATIONSHIP THAN OWNERSHIP...
I D E A L P R O D U C T I O N M E T H O D ** F O R N O W
- 1. Testing and creating a form / draping tests- Creating rough test pieces
– Creating the test piece straight from the postconsumer waste from what it´s made. From there we get the information how the Item should be cut to pieces for further production and we can also move the old form partly or totally to this new creation.
2. Rough patterns - made strait from the pieces.
3. Fittings for test pieces + Test piece corrections + rough pattern corrections
- to make all needed line and structure decisions.
5. Sample piece production - we call it also 1st piece (normally size 36)
6. Fittings for sample pieces - to see everything is right
7. Pattern correction & completion - clear first edition of pattern in model size and then scaling.
8. Shoots for Lookbook and Editorials
9. 1st pieces in different sizes
10. “Testdrive” (all product are tested on how they work in use to be make sure that there are no technical issues)
11. Bottom stock (1 piece per each size)
12. Gathering all full production files
13. Production for orderpiece stock (+1 of each size for covering sells)
14. Release show / press night (can be also earlier)
15. Sales & marketing
16. Production for orders by retailers and customers.